Monday, January 16, 2012

Would you like a little tour of my cave?

I’ve been tidying all week.
You might not believe me when you see these pics … but it’s true, I really have!!!
Here’s how I fit WAY too much stuff into WAY too small an area LOL.
Firstly my desk/cutting table/ironing board.January 2012 052 I bought this desk off eBay for a ridiculous $80!! It’s an old Canadian banker’s desk and it’s fabulous!! As you can see I’ve got everything but the kitchen sink on the shelves above … essentials like family pics, the ‘puter, licorice allsorts mug, ruler shelf (with a drawer for my cutters), books (invoice/order etc.), … things I need on a daily basis ;o). Oh, and the gawjus little drawer my iron is sitting on is an old treadle drawer, love it!! I can keep little knick-knacks in that too!!
Round to the right of my desk is my Rosie – my beautiful Janome Horizon :o). January 2012 047As you can see, she too is surrounded by various fabulous storage pieces … every one of which is absolutely chokkers lol!!! Top left is another cabinet of old treadle drawers – I have a hard time resisting these have you noticed he he. The funny long tail thing hanging from the drawers on the left is my zippers, all on a ring and hanging from the handle. To the left of these drawers is a built in wardrobe … all my pre-cuts and special fabrics are in there – along with a LOT of other stuff!! My threads are all lined up on the sill … my scraps stash in the clear drawers under the table. Directly under Rosie is Bertha, my Janome 6500 (still for sale if anyone’s interested!!). More clear drawers on top of the terrific little cupboard my Dad made for me years ago.
Next is one of my favourite parts of the room, I just love to drool over all of these pretty fabrics …January 2012 044 and to browse through the pages of these books… a great way to while away some spare time ;o). That’s my printer on the right by the way … this room is so small that I couldn’t get far enough back to take a pic without getting the printer in … as it was I was leaning right back over my desk LOL.
Tucked in the little corner between the book case and Rosie is this …January 2012 081 another treasure trove of much loved gifties … pics of dear ones and more treadle drawers lol – gawjus!!!!!
So here’s the last bit … January 2012 070my trusty printer sits on YET ANOTHER set of drawers!!! That’s my notice board on the right and it’s under another ruler shelf. Both of my ruler shelves were made by Cath’s husband Ron, they’re a really practical way of storing rulers and yet still keeping them very handy to grab. I love them!! This one is even better cos it has a shelf under it for my stapler, sticky tapes, stamps and stickers etc, and also a bunch of hooks where I can hang my scissors and pretties :o).
My room is filled with sweet treasures and gifts from dear friends …. each one is cherished. Not a square inch is wasted LOL.

This is my workspace, my sewing room, my office – sometimes even my refuge ………….. it’s my cave and I love it :o).
I hope you’ve enjoyed my little tour :o).

22 comments:

By Hoki Quilts said...

Thank you so much for a wonderful tour - I'm really nosey when it comes to others sewing caves and love getting wonderful storage ideas. I just got one from you - instead of wasting a cute little box with zips, I'm going to get a ring thingy and store them on that, thanks lovey.
hugs - Miche'le xx

Sheila said...

Thanks for the tour , it is always interesting to see where others work and your space although as you say is small it is well organized and everything in its place ,it is great!

Scottish Nanna said...

OMG it is like A craft shop how lucky you are it looks very neat and tidy when you post something you have made we can picture you sitting there sewing it.
Hugs Mary.

Fee said...

AAwwww the memories. I love your cave and I loved seeing it in person..... Love the mug too - hehe Hugs - Fee XX

Marilyn said...

Ahhh. Love it. It is amazing what we fit into a room isnt it. Until we moved here I have had a bedroom to use. I was wondering why I had so many containers to store then realised of course - no built in to use any more. Thanks for sharing your cave.
Hugs xx

Lurline said...

Looks like 'your little corner of the world' - so fascinating, love it!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Terry said...

You have a lovely cave, full of lots of lovely goodies!! :0)

Allie said...

What a FUN tour, thank you dear Joy! Really a lovely spot to create. My room is small too, but I have my bed in here as well, yikes. And I'm not NEARLY as organized as you are! You've given me some great ideas [love those treadle drawers!], maybe I can get organized too! Thanks for the lovely tour!

Maria said...

Thanks for sharing your gawjus cave with us. you have filled every square inch with great things and treasures. My favorite is the pretty fabric stash.

Fiona said...

so fun to see where you work and know where all your lovely goodies are created...
Hugz

Vicki ♥ said...

Brings back lovely memories and it still looks good :) Hugs Vicki xx

Michelle Ridgway said...

It looks like a wonderful space. I am still trying to get to terms with mine.

Tess said...

Thanks for letting us take a peek into your creative space, every nook is filled with lots of lovelies...just love it.

Kaaren said...

Warm and cozy, Joy...a perfect place for creating.

I just love your treadle drawers. Thanks for sharing.

Dawn said...

It's just 'Perfick' Ethel... I just so love it...its also 'perfick' for nutters gatherings...lOL
Hugs Dawn x x x

Sheila said...

I love seeing your room and all your great ideas for storage and show ... and looking at all the knick-knacks, and patchwork and bits and bobs.
I almost felt like I was there with you....
Thanks for a great snoop around, and some great ideas :)
Another Sheila

Lucky-1 said...

Joy I loved the tour of your "cave" and I think your room has so many stories to tell. Love all the bits and bobs sitting around, adds character to your room:)

HUGGLES
Lucky

Larissa said...

Thanks for the tour ... I think that is about right where my "dream cave" would be, lol!! Right now all my sewing stuff is stored in boxes, placed on top of tables in the loungeroom (mind you, this IS a very large loungeroom!!) ... They all need to be stored in boxes rather than be out for too long as we have louvres ... louvres ... and MORE louvres in here (not much 'wall' space, lol!) and the (dirt!) driveway comes straight up to just next to the lounge, so lots of dust comes up into the air ... not too good for displaying lots of lovely fabrics, lol!
Enjoy your creative space Joy ... I know I would, lol!!!

Unknown said...

I Love seeing other people's Caves Thanks for the Tour...
Yours looks Great and Well Used.
cheers

wonderwoman said...

Now i know exactly how to picture you when you are busily sewing! Xxxxxxx

Sew Useful Designs said...

Oh Joy! I LOVED the tour of your cave!!! And I adore your vintage Singer drawers - blinking gorgey!

Now - put the kettle on sweetie - I'm coming over to play!!!!! (I'll bring the Tim Tams!!)

Hugs and love!
Vikki xoxoxoxo

Cath Ü said...

Fantastic Joy... it's lovely to see there is someone else out there who has a very crammed packed work room... LOL

Cath Ü